Hope you enjoy my recipe! It’s pretty versatile, you can season the legs with whatever seasoning you like or skip the seasoning if you want (to reduce sodium). My current fave is the Brew Pub Chicken seasoning from Aldi’s. I have started breading my chicken using the shake and bake method (ziplock baggy) because I found that clean up is so much easier and it really gets the chicken covered well. The key to having moist and tender chicken is the buttermilk marinade. I do this now with all my breaded chicken!
Breaded Chicken Legs - Shake and Bake
- 6 Fresh Chicken Legs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs unseasoned or seasoned
- 3 tbs Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs Flour seasoned is best!
- 1/4 tsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 tbs Brew Pub Seasoning optional
- Marinate the chicken legs in the buttermilk and water for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best. Add more if necessary to cover the legs in the container. (I typically go for a 1 to 2 ratio of buttermilk to water)
- Preheat Air Fryer to 360 degrees or oven for 375 degrees
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. I have been using a gallon size ziplock, but you can also just use a large bowl.
- Take the legs out of the buttermilk and put directly in the dry mix. If you are using the shake and bake method, then do all the legs at once. If using a bowl, then do one at a time. Make sure the leg is fully covered in the dry mix
- Place the chicken legs in the air fryer basket or on a greased baking sheet
- Bake until the chicken is at least 165 degrees (25-30 minutes in the AirFryer) (35-40 in the oven)