There is approximately a trillion ways to make chicken. Here is a low carb and delicious chicken recipe that is one of my dinner favorites because it has cheese and is easy to make.
Hasselback Chicken - Spinach and Cheese
- 2 breasts boneless-skinless chicken thawed/fresh
- 1 cup fresh spinach cut stems off before cooking
- 1/4 block cheese (colby, colby jack, cheddar-your choice)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (you pick)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven for 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Saute the spinach in a skillet with the olive oil for approximately 5 minutes. Spinach will be "squishy" looking.
- Slice the chicken breast 4-5 times aka "hasselback". (cut enough that you don't cut it all the way through, making small pockets).
- Cut the cheese block into small rectangles or squares - to fit into the chicken breast "pockets."
- Place slices of cheese and a bit of spinach in each chicken breast "pocket".
- *optional* Top the chicken breast with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Chicken is done when it temps out above 165 degrees.
Make sure to grease the baking sheet ! The cheese will melt and it will look messy. However, this also keeps the chicken moist and locks in lots of flavor. The less cheese you use, the less mess. Always use fresh/thawed chicken. This recipe is very versatile. Use whatever cheese you have on hand and you don't have to make it with spinach either. Sometimes I bread the chicken before slicing it and putting the cheese in it.